- Geophysical Testing and Nondestructive Evaluation
- Numerical modeling of mechanical and electromagnetic waves
- Stochastic and deterministic inversions, Machine learning and AI
- Full waveform tomography, refraction tomography, migration, surface wave methods
- Seismic/ultra-seismic, sonic/ultrasonic, GPR, resistivity techniques
- Foundation Design and Capacity Assessment
- Numerical modeling of soil-foundation interaction
- Assessment of pile/shaft capacity and integrity via dynamic testing
- Evaluation of pile freeze and LRFD resistance factor
Ongoing research projects:
- “Collaborative Research: 3D Ambient Noise Tomography (3D ANT) for Natural Hazards Engineering” (PI: Tran K.T. and Co-PI: Brady Cox), National Science Foundation, $778,652 , CMMI-1930697/1931162, 09/2019 to 08/2022.
- “In-service Assessment of Road Sinkholes with 2D Ambient Noise Tomography” (sole PI: Tran K.T.), Florida Department of Transportation, $200,000, 09/2019 to 08/2021.
- “Phase II: Field Load Testing of Shallow Foundations in Florida Limestone” (PI: McVay M., co-PIs: Rogders M. & Tran K.T.), Florida Department of Transportation, $350,000, 09/2019 to 08/2021.
- “Geotechnical Site Characterization with 3-D Full Seismic Waveform Tomography”, (sole PI: Tran K.T.), National Science Foundation, $206,216, CMMI-1637557, 07/2016 to 06/2020.
- “Sinkhole Detection with 3-D Full Elastic Waveform Tomography”, (PI: McVay M., co-PIs: Tran K.T. and Wasman S.), Florida Department of Transportation, $322,441, 10/2017 to 06/2020.