Theoretical Fluid Dynamics and Turbulence Group
Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
at The University of Florida
Welcome to the webpage of the Theoretical Fluid Dynamics and Turbulence Group within the University of Florida Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering. This page contains information about the Principal Investigator (PI), his students, research descriptions, the fluid dynamics seminar, and more. Please use the menus to navigate. A description of the investigator is below and contact information can be found from the pull-down menu. Thank you very much for visiting, and please feel free to reach out and connect with us.
Associate Professor S. A. E. Miller, Ph.D.
Steven A. E. Miller, Ph.D. is an Associate Professor of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering at University of Florida and leads the Theoretical Fluid Dynamics and Turbulence Group. He conducts research in theoretical fluid dynamics, theoretical aeroacoustics, and related disciplines in conjunction with his students. His students have obtained positions in government agencies, industry, and academics. He joined the University of Florida in August of 2016. Prior to joining the University of Florida, for seven years he was a Research Aerospace Engineer at the National Aeronautics and Space Administration, Langley Research Center, Aeroacoustics Branch. He received his Ph.D. and M.S. in Aerospace Engineering from the Pennsylvania State University under A.D./Welliver Boeing Professor Philip J. Morris, B.S. in Mechanical Engineering from Michigan State University, and studied statistics briefly at Taganrog State University, Russia. He received numerous awards including: the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency Faculty Award for analytical prediction of the hypersonic near-field, the NASA Early Career Achievement Medal for theoretical jet aeroacoustics, the United States Air Force Faculty Fellowship for combustion instability and thermo-acoustics, and others. He enjoys opera, art history, and scientific history.
- Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) Young Faculty Award, “Analytical Prediction of Near-Field Hypersonic Aerodynamics,” 2021.
- NASA Early Career Achievement Medal, “For Impressive Research Contributions to Theoretical Jet Aeroacoustics and the NASA Mission,” 2015 [NASA Medals]
- Researcher of the Year Award, University of Florida Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, 2022.
- United States Air Force Faculty Fellowship, 2019.
- The Doug Ensor Award, In recognition of an individual’s contribution to the profession, significant technical accomplishment(s), and community involvement, 2016
- AIAA Hampton Roads Section Robert A. Mitcheltree Young Engineer of the Year Award, “For making significant technical contributions in the field of aeroacoustics,” 2016
- NASA Langley Center Directors Commendation, In recognition of your dedication, commitment to excellence, and achievements in support of the Space Shuttle Program, 2014
- Nominated by NASA for the Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers, 2014 [PECASE]
- Editor’s Choice Award, American Society of Civil Engineering, Journal of Structural Engineering, May 2022.
AIAA Laurence J. Bement Young Professional Paper Award, 2013 [NASA]
- AIAA Laurence J. Bement Young Professional Paper Award, Runner Up, 2012 [NASA]
- Ph.D., 2009, Aerospace Engineering, The Pennsylvania State University, USA
- M.S., 2006, Aerospace Engineering, The Pennsylvania State University, USA
- B.S., 2003, Mechanical Engineering, Michigan State University, USA
- Undergraduate Studies in Statistics and Language, 2001, Taganrog State University, Russia
- Undergraduate Studies, 2000, Eastern Michigan University, USA
Professional Society Memberships
- The American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Senior & Lifetime Member, 2004 – Present
- The American Mathematical Society, 2011 – Present
- The American Physical Society, Lifetime Member, 2011 – Present
- The Acoustical Society of America, 2010 – Present
- NASA Langley Alumni Association, 2017 – Present
- The NASA Langley Emerging Professionals, 2009 – 2016
- The Penn. State Aerospace Graduate Student Association, 2005 – 2008, President (2008), Vice President (2007), Secretary (2006)
- Michigan State University Student Engineering Council, 2001 – 2003
- The Society of Automotive Engineers 2001 – 2003