PhD, Computer Engineering, 2020 (University of Florida, FL, USA)
MS, Computer Engineering, 2007 (University of Florida, FL, USA)
BS, Computer Science, 2002 (University of Florida, FL, USA)
- Computer Science Education
- Educational Games
- Dual-Modality Instruction
- Digital Remote Assessment
- Dual-Modality Instruction
- Compile-and-Run Programming Assessments
- Profile Cameras for Digital Remote Proctoring
- Performant Programming in Python (2020-Present)
- Artificial Intelligence for Games (UF: 2018-Present, Full Sail: 2007-2016)
- CS Teaching & Learning (2017-Present)
- Operating Systems (2017-Present)
- Programming Fundamentals I (2017-2018)
- Programming Fundamentals I (2016-2017)
- Data Structures & Algorithms (2016-2017)
- Game Networking (Full Sail University: 2008-2013)
- Artificial Intelligence for Games (Full Sail University: 2007-2016)
- Faculty Senate & Engineering Faculty Council (2020-Present)
- Programming Sequence Chair, CISE (2019-Present)
- Bylaws Committee Chair, EED (2019-Present)
- Search Committee Member, EED (2019-Present)
- Faculty Advisor, Open Source Club (2019-Present)
- UF Online Director for CS, CISE (2017-Present)
- Lecturer Coordinator, CISE (2017-Present)
- Undergraduate Curriculum Review Committee Member, CISE (2017-2020)
- Lecturer Search Committee Chair, CISE (2017-2019)
- Search Committee Chair, Game Studies, Full Sail University (2009-2013)
- Game Design Curriculum Committee Member, Game Studies, Full Sail University (2007-2009)
- Cacti Council, Inc: Educational Non-Profit, Co-Founder & Chair (2016-Present)
- Aloma Elementary School Advisory Committee, Member (2016-Present)
- Glenridge Middle School, Volunteer (2016-2017)
- Reviewer: Papers & Posters, SIGCSE 2021
- Reviewer: Journal Papers, Computer Science Ed. 2020
- Participant: CRA-E Professional Dev. Workshop for Teaching-Track Faculty, SIGCSE 2020
- Organizer: UF Game Jam Site, Global Game Jam 2018-2020
- Organizer: Game Jam Event, Gator Game Jam 2018-2019
- Participant: Peer Teaching Summit, SIGCSE 2019
- Reviewer: Papers, SIGCSE 2018
- Participant: Every Child a Coder Workshop, IDC 2015
- Moderator: Indie Gaming in Orlando Panel, Full Sail Hall of Fame 2015
- Moderator: Avoiding Gender, Racial, & Cultural Stereotypes Panel, Full Sail Hall of Fame 2015
- Panelist: Avoiding Gender, Racial, & Cultural Stereotypes Panel, Full Sail Hall of Fame 2014
- Member: Advisory Board, EduGaming Conference 2013-2014
Peer Reviewed Conference Papers
- J. Blanchard, C. Gardner-McCune, and L. Anthony, 2021. Dual Modality Instruction & Programming Environments: Student Usage & Perceptions. 52nd ACM Technical Symposium on Computer Science Education (2021). (Accepted)
- J. Blanchard, C. Gardner-McCune, and L. Anthony, 2020. Dual Modality Instruction and Learning: A Case Study in CS1. Proceedings of the 51st ACM Technical Symposium on Computer Science Education (2020), 818–824. (Best Paper, 2nd Place)
- J. Blanchard, C. Gardner-McCune, and L. Anthony, 2019. Effects of Code Representation on Student Perceptions and Attitudes Toward Programming. 2019 IEEE Symposium on Visual Languages and Human-Centric Computing (2019), 127–131. (Best Paper, Runner-Up)
- K. M. Ying, L. G. Pezzullo, M. Ahmed, K. Crompton, J. Blanchard, & K. E. Boyer, 2019. In Their Own Words: Gender Differences in Student Perceptions of Pair Programming. Proceedings of the 50st ACM Technical Symposium on Computer Science Education (2019), 1053–1059.
Peer Reviewed Conference Posters, Demos, & Workshop Papers
- J. Blanchard, C. Gardner-McCune, and L. Anthony, 2019. Amphibian: Dual-Modality Representation in Integrated Development Environments. 2019 IEEE Blocks and Beyond Workshop (2019), 83–85.
- J. Blanchard, 2019. Situated Learning in Systems-Level Coursework. Proceedings of the 50th ACM Technical Symposium on Computer Science Education (2019), 1255-1256.
- J. Blanchard, C. Gardner-McCune, and L. Anthony, 2018. How Perceptions of Programming Differ in Children with and without Prior Experience. Proceedings of the 49th ACM Technical Symposium on Computer Science Education (2018), 1099.
- J. Blanchard, 2017. Hybrid Environments: A Bridge from Blocks to Text. Proceedings of the 2017 ACM Conference on International Computing Education Research (2017), 295–296.
- J. Blanchard, 2018. Rethinking hardware-related coursework in CS classroom. STEMPowered Florida SUS Faculty Symposium (2018).
- J. Blanchard, J. Del Rocco, and H. Maamar, 2018. Teaching Game Dev to School Kids: What We Did, and How You Can, Too. Game Developer’s Conference (2018).
- J. Blanchard, C. Gardner-McCune, and L. Anthony, 2015. Bridging Educational Programming and Production Languages. “Every Child a Coder” workshop, Position paper, ACM SIGCHI Conference on Interaction Design and Children (2015).
- J. Blanchard, 2015. Master Thesis Students in the Video Game Industry, SIGGRAPH Asia (2015).
- J. Blanchard, and A. Hayes, 2014. IGDA Game Education SIG: Survey of Game Industry Employers, Game Developer’s Conference (2014).