Welcome to the Engaging Learning Lab
We are an excited group of faculty, graduate, and undergraduate researchers focused on creating fun and engaging learning experiences for K-12 and undergraduate students. We have degrees in Computer Science, Learning Sciences, and Early Childhood Education. We work in collaboration with researchers and practitioners in Education, Cognitive Science, & Arts.
We conduct research in three areas
- Computer Science Education (CS ED) Research
- Learning Technology Design & Evaluation
- Curriculum Development & Assessment
Through our research and collaborations, we aim to advance the science of
- how people learn in technology-rich learning environments
- learn computer science
- develop identities as computational thinkers and CS Professionals
We empirically study and build
- models of cs learning
- identify pedagogical and instructional best practices
- develop learning assessments
- develop learning environments and curricula
- models of identity development
- develop identity assessments
Theoretical Foundations & Research Methodology
- constructivist & socio-cultural learning theories
- design-based research
- qualitative and quantitative methods,
- Brain-Computer Interfaces (EEG) devices
Contributions & Impact
We have developed several CS curricula and assessments for K-12 students in
- Artificial Intelligence
- Mobile App Development
- Game Design, and
- Introductory programming.
We have also developed VR and mobile application empathy games for elementary school children.
Using these curricula, we collaborate with schools and community organizations to offer after-school and summer camp programs for K-12 students and professional development workshops for teachers. Our work has impacted over 1800 students and 100 teachers!